THE FLEET OF MOTOR CARS BUILT BY THE STANDARD
MOTOR Co. in 1911 FOR KING GEORGE V AND QUEEN MARY'S VISIT TO INDIA FOR THE DELHI ROYAL DURBAH TO COMMEMORATE
a genuine original sepia print made by Newspaper Illustrations Limited of 161A Strand, London.
On the rear of the photograph is the following statement:
The first sign of
the near approach of the Durbah at Delhi is the completion and dispatch of the fleet of motor cars that have been specially
built for the convenience of their Majesties the King and Queen whilst they are at Durbah as the Emperor
and Empress of India.
Messrs Friswells have just completed the order for the whole fleet, which may be detailed
as follows. When their Majesties arrive at Bombay on the 2nd Dec. where they will be received by the governor of the
Province two 20 Hp 6 Cylinder Standard cars for the use of their Majesties and ten for the the Royal visitors will be at command.
Arriving at Delhi on the 7th Dec., another fleet of Standard cars, painted in royal blue with red lines and upholstered
in blue leather with the Royal crown on the side panels will await the Royal visitors. Apart from this there is another fleet
of Standard cars for the visitors of the Government of India. These are painted cream and upholstered in green leather. After the Durbah comes
the Nepah Shooting Expedition taking place during the last days of December. For this purpose an entirely separate fleet has
been built, comprising two 20HP Standard cars with luxurious landaulette bodies, two beautifully fitted double phaetons for
the Royal visitors attending the shoot and several 20HP lorries to convey the beaters and the impediments of the shoot.They make a wonderful fleet
of cars, are British made throughout being manufactured at the Coventry works of the Standard Motor Co. and Messrs. Friswells
are to be congratulated upon having completed so large an order to time.
postscript (added 15th December 2013)
My thanks to Mr W Vincent in New Zealand, who has identified that the Chauffeur in the picture bellow was
his grandfather William Charles Vincent. Mr Vincent was employed by the Standard Motor Company so it would appear that
as well as supplying all the cars for the Delhi Durbar, the Standard Motor Company also supplied the drivers. Following
the visit, HM The King, presented Mr Vincent with a number of gifts including a ceremonial Kukri set carved to depict the
King on the tiger shoot and a set of gold cufflinks from Garrards.
It is understood that Mr Vincent left the employment of The Standard Motor Company
around 1914 and later ran the Three Horseshoes Public House at Bubbenhall.